[antlr-interest] Re: Summary of ANTLR Issues

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Fri Jul 11 11:40:36 PDT 2003

lgcraymer wrote:
> --- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Ric Klaren <klaren at c...> wrote:
>
>>How about grammar inheritance btw ?
>
> That's a point of discussion.  The functionality of grammar
> inheritance will be provided in some form, but the current approach is
> unloved.  I'd like to see equivalent functionality provided via a

Please look at the approach that SDF2 uses. It is elegant and much more
flexible than grammar inheritance. Instead, SDF2 uses parameterized
grammar modules that can be combined together via an "import" mechanism.
Basically, you seperate your grammar into a bunch of subgrammars, then
you have a master grammar that "imports" all of the subgrammars to
create a comprehensive one.

SDF2 is neat in other ways too; for example, it doesn't have seperate
lexers and parsers, and it us full LR(k). It is based on the work titled
(something like) "Scannerless Generalized LR(k) Parsing." But, the
toolchain is really based on a completely different archicture than ANTLR.

Love,
Brian