[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3 License

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 17 00:49:09 PDT 2003

Ter has aggressively kept ANTLR public domain.  LGPL violates the PD
philosophy that anyone should be allowed to take advantage of the
work, make money from it, or otherwise tamper with it in secret.

--Loring

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "Anthony W Youngman"
<Anthony.Youngman at E...> wrote:
> Everybody else has said "yes", but can I throw a spanner in the
works?

> I'd much prefer LGPL. The only real "advantage" of BSD is that it
allows
> other people to take advantage of your work, make money from it,
and
> "improve" or otherwise tamper with it "in secret".
>
> The LGPL will mean that if they want to do that, they have to keep
Antlr
> identifiably separate and publish any changes they have made to
Antlr
> itself. If you go down the LGPL route, though, you really need to
make
> explicit the fact that any code generated by Antlr is *not*
covered by
> the Antlr licence.
>
> The other advantage of the LGPL is that you should ask anybody
providing
> a "substantive patch" or more to assign copyright to you. If a
condition
> of that assignment is that any Antlr containing that code will be
> available under the LGPL, it then allows you (Ter) to licence
Antlr to
> any company that wants to make money such that you get some money
> feed back into Antlr too.
>
> This isn't an unusual approach - to name various companies that do
it,
> we have MySQL, TT with KDE, and even Cygnus (part of RedHat) with
gcc
> (except they all use the GPL).
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

contain private and confidential information. If this has come to
you in error you must not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must
you copy it, modify it, disseminate it in any way, or show it to
anyone. Please e-mail the sender to inform us of the transmission
error or telephone ECA International immediately and delete the e-
mail from your information system.

> Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)
2 9911 7799, Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000
and New York +1 212 582 2333.