[antlr-interest] Re: Lexing problem

Jim Irwin jimirwin at acm.org
Fri Jun 6 05:18:10 PDT 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, mzukowski at y... wrote:
> By the way, is this an open source grammar you're working on?
Just curious.

If I arrive at a moderately useful parser or set of parsers, I would
consider making it open source.  The question becomes: would enough
people be interested in it to make it worth the effort to publish it?

My goal is to do some automated code metrics on ColdFusion code.
That means being able to recognize the use of session, request and
client scope variables, measuring the level of indirection in
controlling the flow of execution, measuring the degree of coupling
between templates, and other measures of complexity.  Because of the
nature of the language, it means parsing ColdFusion tags, ColdFusion
script, HTML tags, and JavaScript all entangled in the source files.

There is also a methodology for coding applications called FuseBox
(somewhat analogous to Java struts) that if done badly, results in
horribly obfuscated code.  Unfortunately from what I've seen so far
in our company, it seems to be done badly more often than not.  I'm
hoping to come up with a code analyzer that can point out the
features that result in hard-to-read and hard-to-maintain code.