[antlr-interest] Wazzup with natural language?

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Mon Mar 3 10:03:26 PST 2003

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 04:39  AM, Dvoryansky Leonid wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I just want to know what can science do with natural languages for a
> current
> moment?
> Are there any institutes which making research in that direction?
> And which class of grammars cover natural languages?
> And are there many differences in various languages from the science
> standpoint?
>
> It will be a big step to ai to recognize natural speaking.
>
> Terr, plz help if you can.

Xerox PARC and Fuji labs both have active groups in this area; I just
had lunch with one of the smart guys down there in Palo Alto.  Natural
languages are probably in the chomsky type 0 category.  Chomsky I
*think* showed how at a certain level all languages follow a certain
over-grammar (my dumb term).

Getting all possible interpretations of "I once shot an elephant in my
pajamas" is pretty easy.  Figuring out which one makes sense is another
story ;)

Ter
--
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
Lecturer in Comp. Sci., University of San Francisco