[antlr-interest] Language Independence

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Thu Mar 6 06:24:55 PST 2003

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 01:38:26PM -0000, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> (replied with grammar off-list)

Thanks!

> Actually, having investigated/remembered what happened, firstly it should
> read "doesn't *always* work", and secondly, I think it is "$setType( xxx )"
> doesn't work either for certain values of xxx, or certain locations of
> $setType.

Basically it boils down to the fact that the action parser of antlr is a
bit too simple for some uses. For C++ mode I had to extend it a bit.

The only thing that needed a workaround was this one:

   _ttype = testLiteralsTable($getText.toUpperCase(), _ttype);

Initial attempt:
   $setType(testLiteralsTable($getText.toUpperCase(), _ttype));

What works:
   String t = $getText;
   $setType(testLiteralsTable(t.toUpperCase(), _ttype));

Kinda weird there's no $getType in ANTLR actually...

Fixing that kind of use could be tricky.. The action parser is basically
only a sed type replacement on the provided action text. It does the trick
quite often but sometimes it just doesn't cope :(

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893722  ----