[antlr-interest] [comp.compilers.tools.pccts] Re: Is there a run-time parsing facility

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Thu May 8 02:37:12 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:11:45PM -0000, micheal_jor wrote:
> My first thought was defining COM-like binary interfaces for the
> Lexer/Parser/TreeParser that generated components will be required to
> implement. All interaction is then through those binary interfaces.
> Of course this is much easier for Windows - since COM is present -
> than other platforms (although Mozilla's XPCOM fills the gap nicely).

Not very familiar with that windows mumbo jumbo stuff ;) I presume it's
something corba-ish ? Only stuff I've seen of it is while trying to get
Mozilla to go on the local Solaris setup. Of course this probably
introduces quite some overhead in the lexer-parser path ? Don't know if you
really want to do something like that in the general case.

> In the end, it similar to the C#/Java solution actually but the devil
> is in the details as you mentioned.
>
> > I guess it's doable but not with the time I have to spent on antlr atm (and
> > then I'm not even mentioning d*mn MSVC)
>
> With MS's recent-ish "acquisitions" of quite a few good C++ guys like
> Herb Sutter and Stan Lippman, it can only get better right?

<keeps fingers crossed> I'd be glad if the windows compile stuff would work
out of the box for once, without hacking around MSVC's oddities.

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893722  ----