[antlr-interest] Re: Anyone tried this ANTLR-inspired CC?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Mon Nov 10 13:14:33 PST 2003

On Sunday, November 9, 2003, at 05:37 PM, leung13512c wrote:

> The thing that caused me to switch away from ANTLR syntax
> is because I prefer the tree building syntax of JJTree that always
> create imaginary nodes instead of a mix of both.  And it mostly
> avoid having to create nodes within actions.

Howdy.  This is the old AST versus parse tree argument...Parse trees
are easy to generate (i.e., no cost to developer) but have way too much
noise for tree transformation and also are sensitive to grammar
construction whereas ASTs are the canonical repr for a particular
language.

Ter
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
Co-founder, http://www.knowspam.net enjoy email again!