[antlr-interest] Re: Local lookahead depth

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Mon Nov 10 10:58:08 PST 2003

[...]

> are you really serious about this? Have a look at the DOM vs. SAX
> discussion in the XML area...

The fundamental question there is simply "do you need all of the complexity
of a full 'DOM' approach or is a syntax-directed translation all that you
need?"  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that all of the
rest of those whacked out discussions boil down to "premature
optimization".

It cracks me up how many people learn "XML" and think themselves language
and/or parsing experts.

Take care,
	John "The crying-on-the-inside kind of clown" Mitchell