[antlr-interest] Re: urgent problem with stack overflow, please help

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 9 21:27:44 PDT 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "netminka" <netminka at n...>
wrote:
> hi all,
> I am writing a commercial grade translator. The source language
> environment has tools which generate large initialization
> procedures, I have seen up to 1100 lines. This causes stack
overflow.
> We are using C# antlr. Stack overflow happens at about 600 lines.
> This happens in the first stage of parsing, not the tree parser.

Megan--

Is there any chance that you have recursion in place of iteration?
Say something like

statements
    :
    statement ( statements )?
    ;

If so, a succession of statements ("statements" calling "statements"
calling ...) could blow the stack.  It should not (well, C$ is a
Microsoft product) otherwise be possible to overflow the stack unless
C# does unbounded dynamic allocation of stack space within routines.

--Loring