[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3.0 and code generation for C++

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 27 14:40:59 PST 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, iank at b... wrote:

>   Since Ter is a Java kind of guy (I hate to say it but I'm becoming
>   Java kind of guy too), I don't know if the new version will
include
>   work on the C++ code generator.  Its been a while since I looked
at
>   the C++ generated source but as I recall it uses reference counted
>   strings and other reference counted objects to mirror garbage
>   collection in Java.

Ian--

The 3.0 code generator will look very different from the 2.x code
generators.  It will be driven by an output grammar, with
language-specific implementations of the output templates.
Retargeting output to another language should be relatively easy (1000
LOC versus the current 150,000 LOC).  There are a number of areas
where Ter wants to do some streamlining, so the support libraries may
look different from the 2.x libraries; that is still something TBD.
Stay tuned as the definition develops further--Ter is working in
"inspired" mode and the intellectual progress being made is
significant.

--Loring