[antlr-interest] Re: how useful would a generic grammar "action" language be?

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Thu Oct 30 01:48:46 PST 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Dalibor Ruzic <ruzicd at y...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing concept that I call it foreign language
> and which is basicly generic language.
>
> In file options I add new option:
>
> foreignLanguageSupport=<fileName>
>
> and in this file I declare used languages.

Do you mean that action grammar is written into this file or just the
declarations of the language(s) to support?

> then when I want to use declared language I put:
>
> $>language>
>
> where language is name of declared language.

Where is this put?. In the action grammar segment?

> After that you write code in that language and by
> declared grammar class it is transformed in
> appropriate
> (Java, C++, C#) language that is ready to be compiled
> with rest of your gramar.
>
> When language is finished simply put <$ at begin of
> line.
>
> Big advantage of this concept is that it is extensible
> because you can use any language if you create grammar
> that transfoms it in language used in the rest of
> grammar.
>
> If there is interest I can send modified Antlr 2.7.2
> for integration with new language.

Please do send it (use the website fileshare or this group's Files
upload feature). And with examples of using it. I'm still a little
unsure about exactly how your system works and how it will be used.

Cheers,

Micheal