[antlr-interest] About GPL

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Mon Apr 12 07:43:21 PDT 2004

In the following, be clear that I Am Not A Lawyer (IANAL) and that you
should get competent, professional legal advice.... This is just IMEBHO.

[...]

> As mentioned in an other thread, a grammar file was released by me under
> the GPL license.  My opinion is that I have the right to do this.

It's your grammar so you can do whatever you like with it.

> The generated code, is the product of my intellectual work and of the
> authors who wrote antlr.

Correct, it's an odd case of a combined, derivative, generated work.

Note that any libraries, etc. that are part of the antlr run-time is fully
and only controlled by Antlr's license.

> So it should be correct that both parties have the right to impose the
> license which they like most, or think more appropriate.

Completely FALSE.  You can only assert a license that is allowed for by
(i.e., is "compatible with") the license of Antlr. But...

> As far as I know, antlr claims no rights on the generated code.  Hence I
> am the only one left to decide the license.

...since the current version of Antlr (as with PCCTS before it) has been
placed into the public domain, you can literally do whatever the hell you
want because there's literally no license on it.

> However, if someone has an other opinion I'd like to know his arguments.
> It is crucial to me, that I will have the freedom to decide the license
> of the grammar.

Even when Antlr has a license (for v3.x and beyond), you can *always* put
whatever license you want upon your grammar.

The upcoming license will hopefully make it clear how it applies to the
case of the generated code and any run-time libraries, etc.

Go wild,
	John