[antlr-interest] newbie stuck here....

Mike Hingley computa_mike at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 06:35:40 PDT 2004

Hi -

I work for these guys : www.boxtelematics.com, and they make a
hardware unit that offers a scripting abilty.

So... anyway I figured that it would be nice to provide a nice IDE
to develop the scripts in - one that looks for syntax errors etc,
and one that I could look for logical errors in script design in.

Anyway - my first step has been to define a lexicon, describing all
of the tokens (right terminology?) thant can be inputted in the
stream - my idea is start small (say less than 10 commands) and add
the rest in once the concept has been proved.

Anyway - here's my lexer grammar ...

protected NEWLINE
    :   '\r' '\n'   // DOS
    |   '\n'        // UNIX
    ;
BOXDALLASKEY				:
	('0'..'9')+;
BOXaddkey					:
	".addkey"
	{System.Console.WriteLine("<<Lex :: .addkey>>");};
BOXalarm					:
	".alarm"
	{System.Console.WriteLine("<<Lex :: .alarm>>");};
BOXalive					:
	".alive"
	{System.Console.WriteLine("<<Lex :: .alive>>");};

at the moment i am just experimenting, so I have put the print lines
there to prove it's all working.

to provide the main structure for the commands, the following parser
grammar has been constructed :

 box_addkey		:			BOXaddkey
BOXDALLASKEY NEWLINE		;
 box_ai			:			BOXai
						;

ok - hopefully everyone's clear with that.  Anyway - what I wanted
to do was to compile this little lot to give a lexer / parser that I
could use in C#, to provide a gui to the user - and that 'seems' to
have worked ok - however I am unsure if I am doing this right.  Does
anyone have any advice regarding my structure here?  Can i get away
with merely a lexer( I'm sort of thinking that I can - I'm only
interested in returning valid tokens not interpreting them - am I
missing something?)?

Is there any documentation for the c# lexer and parsers?

I'm using the eclipse IDE, and the ANTLR plugin (by the way - that
doesn't seem to like compiling if language = CSHARP?  any ideas?)

Cheers guys -

Mike Hingley
ANTLR newbie, and quite liking it so far.......