[antlr-interest] (in)sanity check

ljw10001 ljw1001 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:50:27 PDT 2004

I'm about to begin a project to port 400K LOC of C++ code to Java.
To the greatest extent possible, we want to do a line by line port
and, if possible I would like to automate some part of that effort.

What I have in mind is to use ANTLR/Sorcerer to do a rough
translation.

If I'm reading the various documents, articles, etc. correctly, there
is a C++ grammar available that ANTLR can use to create a parse tree
and also a Sorcerer description for Java that can read a (different)
parse tree and generate java code. Presumably the first tree could be
mapped to the second, or we could modify the Sorcerer description by
hand to use the tree generated from the C++ source.

I'm not expecting the result to compile. In fact I would be happy to
output C++ with some of the code selectively replaced by Java
equivalents.  Anything that would reduce the amount of manual
translation noticably would be useful.

So, am I completely insane to attempt this with ANTLR?  Suggestions
for better ways to approach the problem would be greatly appreciated.