netiquette (was: [antlr-interest] Again help with pl/sql grammar)

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Wed Apr 21 16:08:19 PDT 2004

[...]

>> 'netiquette nanny says: STOP sending your complete grammar to the
>> mailing list!

> What is the problem ?  It's grammar are not enought and some peoples can
> be interest by it.

Small excerpts of a grammar are great but just spewing an entire,
non-trivial grammar/program/etc. to a mailing list is bad.

Doing this (repeatedly) is also a clear indication that the poster wants
people to do his work for him rather than only asking for some specific
help after making it clear that he's done what he can (reading the
documentation, studying the sample grammars, checking the FAQ, checking the
archives of this mailing list, etc.) before bothering *all* of the people
on this list (for *free* help).

> Where are you find this "netiquette nanny" ?  On the antlr website ?

That's a polite way of reminding people that good manners are important.

Play around with e.g., google for 'netiquette' and what not and you'll find
all sorts of internet/email/life etiquette resources.

>> Just put the grammar up on an ftp/http site and include a URL to it in
>> your help requests.

> Personnaly I prefere received an attached file.

Fine but a lot of people don't want their time and bandwidth wasted.

Thanks,
	John