[antlr-interest] I am planning to write a beautifier for Java (jaboby..)

Veerasamy, Thirumalai (Cognizant) vthiruma1 at chn.cognizant.com
Sat Aug 7 05:49:29 PDT 2004

Hi Jon,

   As you said, I am not planning to write a new
formatter. I am planning to rewrite the jaloby code
with different formatting engine. Since jaloby used
the ANTLR, I wanted to know the following things.

   I will try out the tree construction documenation.
I downloaded the full pdf but couldn't locate the
part. let me check it out again

Regards
Thiru

Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net
<http://us.f132.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=jpschewe@mtu.net&YY=99080&o
rder=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b> > wrote:On Fri, 2004-07-30
at 09:50, thirumalaikv wrote:
> Hi
> I am planning to write a beautifier for Java, which
will
> automatically beautify the code based on certain
rules. I have

Any particular reason the ones that currently exist
don't fit your
needs? You might be better off enhancing an existing
one, rather than
starting from scratch.

> 1. I want Special Tokens(spaces, comments,
javadocs,...) part of the
> Token

You'll probably want to have two Parsers here, one for
the Java code and
one for the Javadoc comments.

> 2. I would like to know how to add/remove
tokens/nodes of AST/Token.

I seem to remember this is in the tree construction
documentation for
antlr, but could be mistaken.

> 3. Java 1.3.1 grammar

One can be found on the antlr website, although it
tosses comments,
which is why I suggested two parsers in 1

Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

  Visit us at http://www.cognizant.com