[getting OT ...] Re: [antlr-interest] exceptions in the lexer

Monty Zukowski monty at codetransform.com
Wed Dec 8 09:44:12 PST 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 2:15 AM, matthew ford wrote:

> P.S. another hobby horse of mine, not un-related to error recovey,
> is the provision of a comprehensive undo facility (not just for text
> editing).

Have you ever looked at the "Selective Undo" stuff?  I like their
argument for creating algebraic operations on your documents and then
being able to reason about whether something can be undone or not.
Also, they can compute whether you can undo not just the last action,
but any action and tell if it would conflict with a subsequent action,
etc.  Commutivity is your friend!

My paper gives a good overview of this algorithm and has references.

Implementing a Selective Undo Framework in Python
http://www.python.org/workshops/1997-10/proceedings/zukowski.html

I have not really kept up with literature on this.  One email
discussion I was in said that the idea had been discounted but they
never provided a reference and I never found an argument against at the
time.

Please let me know if you have any good links on the subject, it's a
pet project of mine as well.

Monty