Fw: [getting OT ...] Re: [antlr-interest] exceptions in the lexer

matthew ford Matthew.Ford at forward.com.au
Wed Dec 8 13:03:27 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harald Mueller" <harald.m.mueller at bigfoot.com>
To: <antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 10:19 PM
Subject: Re: [getting OT ...] Re: [antlr-interest] exceptions in the lexer

>  (I once had to work with a database which, after some internal error,
> continued - but the data in a whole table were garbled. In that case, I'd
> very much have preferred a simple and shocking crash!).

Stopping access to the database is good in this case, a shocking crash
is simple for the programmer but is impolite to the user
and unfairly moves the blame from the database
to your application.
Let's encourage the programmer not to take the simple way out
 } catch ( ) {
   t.printStackTrace();
   System.exit(1);
}
but try for something better.

As long as the OS/JVM is running at least the shell of your application
should run.

matthew
P.S thanks for the stimulating discussion.