[antlr-interest] How to have strings enclosed in " and/or "

Akhilesh Mritunjai virtualaspirin at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 10:04:51 PST 2004

Matthew

Though it has been quite some time for me, I think
your problem is lot simpler.

A HTML string in any tag can't start/end with
""".  However, in HTML text, """ is supposed
to be used instead of literal double quotes. So the
two don't clash.

I suggest you write a preprocessor that "cleans" up
the code using a lexer grammar to clean up all the
special marks outside tags into their respective
symbolic representation, and then use the standard
grammar to parse/lex various language entities in the
cleaned-up HTML.

So something like

should be cleaned into

susie&quot;</font>

which is more convenient to write grammar for.

- akhilesh

--- matthew ford <Matthew.Ford at forward.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am having trouble in the lexer handling strings
> that start and end with "
> or &quot;
> (might start with " and end with &quot;)
> Some html editors kindly replace " with &quot; when
> you load the file.

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com