[antlr-interest] Java enhancements to support bytecode generation?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Thu Dec 9 13:37:33 PST 2004

On Dec 9, 2004, at 12:44 PM, atripp54321 wrote:
> I came across this item and thought Terence and others
> might find it interesting, considering that ANTLR 3 is
> generating Java bytecode:
>
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/12/08/DynamicJava

Verrrry interesting.  Wish I had been invited ;)

> Apparently, the gurus for a bunch of dynamic languages
> (Perl, Parrot, Python, Groovy) had a little meeting at
> Sun, and one thing they came away with had to do with
> bytecode generation. To quote the article:
>
> Lesson: Bytecode Generation A lot of people these days are generating
> bytecode: not just Jython and Groovy, but AOP tools and XPath/XSLT
> tools and others too. They're all doing it by hand without any
> abstractions to help, and it's difficult and messy and they're
> probably not doing that great a job. ¶
>
> So it would be super-handy for a lot of people if there were a
> higher-level approach to this, perhaps at the AST level, so you could
> automate the bytecode generation for some common idioms like switches
> and loops and so on. It's trickier than you might think, since the
> semantics of something as apparently simple as assignment to a
> variable can get very complex in a dynamic language.

I have thought about AST or other high level language neutral byte code
gen myself as I hack out bytecodes.  My templates are pretty small for
my DFA so it's no biggie, but I thought I should spend some time and
package up my class file writer and assembler plus some high level
stuff on top as a separate doohickie, but I already have too much to
work on ;)

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com