[antlr-interest] Problems with " and/or ""

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Dec 15 09:51:56 PST 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 11:16 PM, matthew ford wrote:
> There should be an easier (and more strightforward) way to do this.
> But if there is I have not found it yet.
> Ter can you get greedy = false to work for this case?

The unfortunate truth is that greedy=false was an afterthought and
apparently not properly integrated.

You'll note in 3.0 that this plain works:

Q : """ (greedy=false : . )* """ ;

I just verified the generated Java (no bytecodes in this case) and the
DFA.  Everything is cool.  It will terminate on """ and more
importantly, it figured out the k=6 lookahead depth out all by itself.
:)  Hooray.  Believe me when I say that I've actually gotten time to
think before coding this time around.  1.x was a prototype.  2.x was
done in a hurry to shut out JavaCC and was done while I was in a
start-up working like mad.  I've been working on just the parsing
algorithm and code generator for 1.5 years now. :)  I should have the
error handling done in a month or two.  Then I clean up the tool and by
May we may have a parser/lexer combo that works with no support for
trees etc...  We may also have a prototype gui.

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com