[antlr-interest] C++ file timestamps and makefiles

Ric Klaren ric.klaren at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 12:19:27 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:32:09 +0000, Stuart Dootson
<stuart.dootson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've observed that behaviour - I thought I remembered there being a
> command-line switch or option to alter the behaviour, but I can't find
> it now :-(

There's no switch for it.

> What I do is to delete any Antlr outputs before running Antlr,
> ensuring they are all generated again. Unless I do this, Visual Studio
> & make think that the Antlr outputs are always out of date and need
> regenerating. Here's an example from a makefile rule - it uses cantlr,
> not the Java Antlr, but it's the same principle.

You can also use a timestamp file that you touch after running antlr.
Then set up dependencies from that. (As was mentioned in the last
thread on Makefile's and is done in the Makefile's from antlr itself)
Probably doesn't work for VC though.

Cheers,

Ric