[antlr-interest] bug in java.g?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Tue Feb 3 12:03:47 PST 2004

On Feb 3, 2004, at 11:55 AM, SainTiss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when parsing a file containing nothing but the following line:
>
> m = (TEST) d;
>
> I get the following exception:
>
> parser exception: emp.java:1:1: unexpected token: m
> emp.java:1:1: unexpected token: m
>         at JavaRecognizer.statement(JavaRecognizer.java:2058)
>         at Main.parseFile(Main.java:81)
>         at Main.doFile(Main.java:54)
>         at Main.main(Main.java:24)
>
> I'm calling the "statement()" method from the JavaRecognizer, so the
> file
> should be valid.
> What's more, if I add a word (e.g. "smdfjmkj") on a line after the
> statement
> in the file, the parser does *not* throw the exception...
>
> Is there an explanation for this?

Howdy.

Yes, statement is not a "start symbol" EOF cannot follow it normally.
YOu must make a rule liek this:

stat_entry : stat ;

not called by anybody so ANTLR does the right thing.  Then invoke the
grammar from stat_entry.

The second problem you have is that you told antlr to match a
statement, not two.  It ignores what it doesn't care.  It did theone
statement and returned :)

:)

Terence
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com