[antlr-interest] Lexer speed comparison

Tom Zagotta tzagotta1 at sienasystems.com
Thu Feb 26 11:43:09 PST 2004

> I did not expect so huge difference.
>
> Alex, it seems speed of ANTLR bother only you an me, I.e.
> People from Russia and Ukraine :-)
>
> I also during last 2 years have raise SPEED issue many times
> on this list.
> Usually people answer -- we more care about correctness than of speed.
>
> I answer, but what problems to have and CORRECT and SUPER-FAST parser
> :-))

I agree - ANTLR seems to work pretty well (correctness), but what we need
now is SPEED!

We've got ANTLR in a couple of our products, but they parse mainly small
files.  Sometimes, however, we will have to parse large files, and I think
we'll have some customer complaints from that.

So, the slowness is a big issue here as well.

We can also offer to contribute to the C++ code generator work, if that
helps.  Especially if some smaller pieces can be broken off and worked on
separately.

Regards,

- Tom