[antlr-interest] Re: Problem with x: (A)(B)? ;

dotlessbraille easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 28 08:35:02 PST 2004

>Are you doing interactive parsing by any chance, like a command line
>interface? My approach here won't work for that.

Thank you!

I had been doing interactive parsing for debugging.  The grammar I'm
working with is very irregular and context-sensitive so it is taking
a lot of trial and error to determine the trade-offs between
handling a situation in the lexer or in the parser.  The interactive
parsing approach was working great for testing until I got to an (A)
(B)? parser rule.

The html.g Example, which has a lot of rules that end in a
conditional, illustrate what you described.

My understanding had been that the lexer and parser worked
identically except for the distinction between a character stream
and a Tokenstream.  I see now that isn't the case.

Best wishes,
Susan J.