[antlr-interest] Re: anybody have opinions on blogging systems written in Java?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Sat Feb 28 11:41:34 PST 2004

On Feb 27, 2004, at 3:32 PM, brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu wrote:

> Short version:
>
> Please replace ANTLR-INTEREST at yahagroups.com with a _single mailing
> list_. Keep
> things simple so that you (and we) can focus on improving ANTLR.

Yes, a single list is what I'm shooting for.  I'll even probably put
something at the jguru forum that redirects to antlr.org's version
when/if it appears.

> Long version:
>
> Forums:  I hate web-based forums (the way Jive is normally used) so I
> hope that
> you will replace yahoogroups with a mailing list. At the very least,
> allow us to
> recieve messages in my email, allow us to post messages via email, and
> allow us
> to reply to messages with our email programs' "reply" command.

There will always be an email gateway.  What don't you like about
forums?  Now's the time to figure out what we want :)

> Usually when people implement Jive they end up with a bunch of forums.
> I don't
> see the value in that for ANTLR-INTEREST; I am not interested in every
> single
> message that comes through currently, but I doubt you can divide up
> the messages
> into forums that will allow me to say "I am interested in forums A, B,
> and D but
> I'll never care about anything in forums C and E." So, please make it
> convenient
> to receive _all_ the ANTLR messages by email.

Oh, I get it.  yes, I imagine only one list/forum.

> IMO, the worst thing about Yahoo Groups is the search feature; it is
> frustrating
> to use (especially, its paging is completely useless and its threading
> is bad).
> If the search interface didn't suck too badly I wouldn't care about
> the ads. But
> is Jive's search better than Yahoo Groups'?

I hope so; haven't investigated yet. Anybody else?

> Blogs: Usually, there is a one-to-one relationship between a blog and
> a person.

Yep.

> I doubt many people (even you, Terence) are going to have a blog that
> is
> completely about ANTLR.

Actually, I have been offered blogs on multiple sites but I just don't
seem to want to tell people what I had for lunch or about the stupid
person at the restaurant that annoyed me.  You'll note that my "blogs"
at antlr.org are now text files where I dump my ideas for ANTLR 3 so I
can organize my thoughts.  I generate copious notes...might as well
post.

I can't imagine a blog for anything but ANTLR 3.

>  Why would you want antlr.org to host blogs that aren't
> ANTLR-specific? There are so many blogging hosts out there right now,
> what is
> the advantage to our "ANTLR community" to adding another one at
> antlr.org?

None.  I don't plan on allowing any blogs other than mine.  Perhaps if
Monty wants one for somethign purely antlr related.

> Personally, I'd rather see a read-only ANTLR 3 source code repository
> (perforce,
> subversion, or cvs).

You shall have it, sir!  The thing is though that I'll not release it
publicly until it's semi mature.  It's in my "playground" now and not
yet in my formal code repository.  The code is too damn readable also
;)  I'd hate for somebody to scoop me by building ANTLR 3 before I did
;)

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing