[antlr-interest] Tree Walking

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Tue Jan 13 07:44:17 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:08:21PM -0000, zgarber wrote:
> My idea was to evaluate conditional expressions and based on that
> calculate statements.

Sounds somewhat like the tinybasic example (examples/java)

> It appeares that Actions defined for Tree Walker are executed
> anyway (when matching those nodes in a tree). I can deal with
> it by evaluating the result of condition passing it as argument to
> statement. However it seems to me that I'll match all nodes in
> subtree even if its actions shouldn't be executed.
> Has anybody have an idea what is the performance overhead of matching
> tree nodes without executing the actions?

Don't know how good/bad it is. Would depend a lot on the input.

> Has anybody had a similar problem? I'm using antlr-2.7.2 (libcpp) and
> it worked perfectly when parsing things.

Have you tried the 2.7.3 release candidate ? 2.7.2 had quite some oopses.

http://www.antlr.org/download/antlr-2.7.3rc1.tar.gz

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893722  ----