[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR+Eclipse

Thomas Brandon tom at psy.unsw.edu.au
Tue Jul 20 20:08:50 PDT 2004

The Antlr eclipse plugin implements such functionality. It does
syntax highlighting and produces an outline of the grammar. I'm not
100% familiar with the code but it appears to be using the builtin
Eclipse support to do the syntax highlighting and an Antlr parser to
do the outline view. The reconciling strategy handles document
changes by simply reparsing the whole document upon any change. This
also means the whole source model must be discarded each parse.
There does not appear to be any support for tracking changes at a a
lower-level which would become more critical if other, more
complicated, tools are consuming the source model. I'm not sure how
good the performance would be if this method was used for lower-
level features such as syntax highlighting or code completion which
require more frequent updates. The Netbeans project implemented
incremental lexing on top of an Antlr based lexer
(lexer.netbeans.org), perhaps you could port something like that to
Eclipse. Incremental parsing in Antlr seems to be a more difficult
prospect (though Antlr 3 may make this easier). Batch parsing on top
of incremental lexing may be good enough for code-completion and the
like.

Tom.
--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "Tiller, Michael \(M.M.\)"