[antlr-interest] ANTLR generated C (not C++), anyone??

Monty Zukowski monty at codetransform.com
Wed Jul 21 08:13:11 PDT 2004

On Jul 21, 2004, at 7:46 AM, Bryan Ewbank wrote:

> I'm evaluating ANTLR as a replacement for lex, yacc, and several
> thousand lines of source code in a legacy system.  The key problem is
> that ANTLR generates C++ code - not C - and there doesn't seem to be
> a clear way for C to interface neatly with C++.

Seems like there should be a way, but I'm not familiar with any.  Now
Java has a nice clean interface to C :)

> So, is anyone working on (or know of work on) an ANTLR that generates
> POCC (plain old C code) for us poor folks that have substantial
> embedded bases?

Actually we intend to do that with ANTLR 3, but that's a ways off, like
a year or or more, probably.

> Please don't suggest recompiling everything with G++; it simply won't
> happen in my lifetime due to the hackish nature of the code, as well
> as the possibility of increasingly complex code.
>
> Thanks for any and all pointers,
> - Bryan Ewbank

If you've got the money you could hire me to do a C code generator for
the current ANTLR, but that's a big project and won't have the same
error handling capabilities.

ANTLR & Java Consultant -- http://www.codetransform.com
ANSI C/GCC transformation toolkit --
http://www.codetransform.com/gcc.html