[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3.0 question about common actions

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Jul 28 17:00:20 PDT 2004

On Jul 28, 2004, at 3:58 PM, iank at bearcave.com wrote:

>> I think this is a worthy goal.  The thing I don't like about it is
>> that you have to come up with a new psuedo-language and your users
>> have to learn it.
>
>   I also have the impression that we are talking about something like
>   a pseudo-language.

Hi Ian,

Well, although

a = b;

and

f();

are essentially identical in all languages most people will run into,
I'm not talking about this really.  I mean that rather than make you
type in an action to build a node, ANTLR allows #[...] to create
outside an action etc....  Currently we have parse the actions to pull
these out.  Loring is about to jump in here so I'll be brief ;)

Anyway, I would allow syntax for you to say what properties trees
should have and then the code generator would pull out the AST template
or something and stick that stuff in while generating code.  Or
subclass what AST class you told it to and added the fields.
Otherwise, the "spec" is in the documentation for each target rather
than in the code generator and the template files.

>   My concern here is that this is an example of feture creep.  The
>   result of feature creep can be to kill off a new version or result
>   in a less reliable version.

Yes, Fred Brooks' "second system effect" is always clearly in my mind.
That's for the reminder!

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing