[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0 news

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Tue Jun 1 09:52:36 PDT 2004

Ah...The joys of summer "vacation".

Yesterday at 3:00 CA time, the core ANTLR 3.0 grammar analysis engine
"achieved consciousness". :)  It performed it's first real full parse
using the new LL(*) arbitrary lookahead parsing/lookahead scheme (and
used unicode characters).  The parse was done using an interpreted
version.  You can say:

Grammar g = new Grammar("a grammar description");
g.parse(start rule name, an input stream);

It may or may not be useful as a feature after release, but it proves
the LL(*) concept at the moment and lets me construct basic char /
token stream requirements.

I have launched ANTLR code-generator background threads in my head
while I take care of some other business.  I'm dying to explore using
StringTemplate for code generation :)

Don't forget folks that this is the hard part, but the small part of a
parser generator.  There is a huge amount of thought that needs to go
into the stuff surrounding the engine, just like in a car.  I imagine
that the antlr runtime specifications for tokens, trees, templates,
etc... will take a lot of time as will a manual/book etc...  This
announcement does not mean a 3.0 version is imminent.  I hope to have a
trivial version of 3.0 working with a few features by the ANTLR
workshop.

Terence
PS	The hoisting of semantic predicates algorithm in written down in my
"lab notebook" and is a simple extension to LL(*).  I'll crank that out
real quick before doing code gen I think.
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing