[antlr-interest] unicode strings using supplemental char range

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Sat Jun 26 12:42:28 PDT 2004

On Jun 26, 2004, at 2:38 AM, Ric Klaren wrote:
> For unicode and C++ I'll definitely be looking at ICU (actually have
> been
> looking at it already) Come to think of it hearing the latest
> discussions
> it might definitely be an idea for the java side too. At least they
> already
> figured out the icky bits for several java versions, so maybe it's an
> idea
> to not reinvent stuff (although I hate the extra dependency)

Yeah, dependency is bad.  Perhaps templates will help as you say.

> For C++ we'll probably see some templates so ICU or std:string can be
> plugged in, and/or maybe some lightweight own thing that can deal with
> some
> simpler uses. (like just UTF8/16)
>
> For ANTLR3 I'll probably also try to drop support for some older
> compilers.
> E.g. ones not supporting template members and namespaces.

Good idea.  Should make stuff cleaner.

Ric, how will going to IntString from String in ANTLR affect you do you
think in terms of code generation?  I want to have the min Java version
to be low like 1.1 optimally, but realistically it will be 1.3 to get
collections.  That implies though that all this 1.5 UNICODE "fixing"
won't be available to ANTLR itself nor the output parsers.  That
implies that none of the supplemental codes will work for isUpperCase
or isDigit etc...  I'm really at a loss to figure out how to proceed
here.  I really appreciate all the feedback from people; eventually
we'll figure this out.  Ugh.

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing