[antlr-interest] unicode strings using supplemental char range

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Mon Jun 28 04:39:30 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 12:42:28PM -0700, Terence Parr wrote:
> Yeah, dependency is bad.  Perhaps templates will help as you say.

If correctly done I think we can gain a lot with it.

> Ric, how will going to IntString from String in ANTLR affect you do you
> think in terms of code generation?

Won't be much of an issue I think. At the moment I'm dequoting java
strings, checking the values and requoting them (*ick* *yuck* *barf*
*grumble*). Going from ints sounds like a good improvement ;) As long as
the frontend of antlr supplies concise and clear structures then I'm a
happy camper. I'd really see as little of java bleed through as possible
(where it would hamper implementing the codegen for another language as is
now with strings supplied by antlr). Having the frontend supply plain
values for the char's that should be output is good then all backends can
decide on their own quoting requirements without having to worry about how
to unquote what's coming from the frontend.

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893755  ----