[antlr-interest] C# vs MSIL Output

Mike Bresnahan mbresnah at visi.com
Sun Mar 7 15:13:45 PST 2004

Upon further investigation, CodeDom is not as cool as I first thought.
Unless I don't understand, CodeDom structures cannot be compiled directly to
MSIL.  Instead they are transformed to C# or VB and then sent to the command
line compiler for transformation to MSIL.  This is equivalent to option B.
However, CodeDom is much more attractive than generating C# (or VB) by hand!

Regardless of this limitation, I think I am going to go down the CodeDom
path.  If compilation performance becomes a problem down the road, I will
then research converting CodeDom directly to MSIL.

Mike Bresnahan