[antlr-interest] AntLR Grammar

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Mar 10 13:57:57 PST 2004

On Mar 10, 2004, at 1:03 PM, Bharath wrote:

> Hi antlers,
>
> I am planning to use AntLR to generate a parser for a programming
> language. I have the grammar (production rules) and the token
> definitions already. To convert the good ol' grammar into a format
> that AntLR can understand, how much effort does it take? I am
> specifially asking this question because I read on several sites
> that AntLR grammar is tedious in a way (no offense) and I do not
> have too much time.
>
> Are there many users of Eclipse AntLR plugin here?

Howdy :)

I built a lab for my students at USF where, in 1hr 45minutes, they
converted the Python grammar that comes with Python's distribution to
ANTLR format:

http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~parrt/course/652/labs/python.html

This might help indirectly :)

For the record, the syntax of antlr is good, it's just that converting
from an LR-based tool like yacc can cause trouble like left-recursion
and such.

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing