[antlr-interest] RE: updated "antlr 2 bashing list...

brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Thu Mar 11 12:36:07 PST 2004

Quoting "John D. Mitchell" <johnm-antlr at non.net>:

> [...]
>
> > * Provide a mechanism to explicitly label a rule as a start rule.
>
> ++
>

> > * In the generated code, make all rules that aren't start rules private
> > instead of public. In general, I believe that almost all of the generated
> > methods should be private by default.
>
> Hmm... Do you really want them private or should they be protected?

I'm not sure when you would ever want a non-start rule to be public, because I
think that they generally can't do anything useful unless they are called via
"normal" processing (i.e. starting with a start rule on the call stack). But,
maybe I'm wrong.

Actually, I would like a way of saying that all the "public" methods should be
protected or package private by default, as well.

- Brian