[antlr-interest] stuff I don't like about ANTLR 2.x

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Sat Mar 13 20:27:36 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 15:05, Terence Parr wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In preparation for the ANTLR 3.0 whitepaper, I need to start writing
> down everything that annoys me about ANTLR 2.0.  I have started another
> "blog" document:
>
> http://www.antlr.org/blog/antlr3/antlr2.bashing.tml
>
> Feel free to send in your pet peeves to me or to this list.  I will try
> to add to this file.

Hopefully I'm not repeating someone; but I don't see this on the list
yet.

I use ANTLR to generate C++. For some time, my major complaint about the
C++ part of ANTLR has been that the support library seems to be poorly
factored. For instance, I don't use ANTLR's AST support. But because of
the rather monolithic nature of the support library, there seems to be
no way to keep from pulling in all the support library's AST machinery
when linking.

That's my number one beef. The other thing I ran into is that it was
*way* too difficult to convince ANTLR to generate the parser in an
unnamed namespace. The C++ code generator is more or less hard-wired to
generate code that will be available to multiple translation units; but
I don't want that. Fortunately, I was able to trick ANTLR into doing
what I want.

Considering those are my major complaints, it seems I've been pretty
happy with ANTLR. :-)

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>