[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 2.7.3 release candidate 3 available

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 19 17:17:19 PST 2004

Micheal, Ric--

Ok, I looked at the rc3.  That has antlr.debug.ParseTreeDebugParser.java.  I guess Ter put it there to avoid adding
directories--antlr.debug is the home of support classes for ParseView (defunct); also, he is invoking that via the grammar superclass
support.  I was very surprised to find that Micheal has a C# implementation of antlr.debug--how was that stuff tested?

Anyway, I have just enough unit test scaffolding to justify an antlr.test namespace and expect more stuff to be added later.  The
derivation analysis is a neat approach to ANTLR unit testing--Ter was truly inspired when he came up with the idea of using parse
trees for that.

One additional point:  when I started down the path of command-line superclasses, Ter asked "What happens if the user specifies a
superclass in the grammar?"  Having namespace-qualified versions of the CharScanner, Parser, and TreeParser--or of the user's
superclasses--solves this problem.  "class MyParser extends YourParser" can be supported by alternative versions of
YourParser--one a subclass of antlr.Parser, and the other a subclass of antlr.test.Parser.

--Loring