[antlr-interest] Re: Parser performance

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Mon Mar 22 12:15:55 PST 2004

On Mar 22, 2004, at 12:06 PM, lgcraymer wrote:

> On 3.0:
>
> Ter's DFA approach will also speed up the parsing engine;
> interestingly enough, it may also apply to tree walkers and lead to
> k>1
> support.  AST generation can be significantly optimized (ANTLR 2 does
> no optimization), and Ter is starting down a path that could
> support that--basically, what you would need is a tree generation
> (static) analysis pass coupled with some dynamic runtime
> "analysis" (build an tree constructor instruction stream, and edit it
> on the fly before generating code).  Stay tuned.

Let's be clear to everybody though that this is us thinking out loud as
we do research.  No one should expect 3.0 to magically pop up in the
near future; i.e., don't wait for 3.0 to use ANTLR.  Use 2.7.3 as 3.0
is a nebulous future event.

note that I will provide a migration tool that auto-converts your
grammars to 3.0 where possible. :)

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing