[antlr-interest] Getting parse exceptions from a parse run. (topic: Compiler Design workflow)

Raynier van Egmond rene at c3ismc.com
Wed May 5 12:21:37 PDT 2004

Hi All,

I feel somewhat humbled by the expert advice that cam in reply to my
design workflow question I am not that far in the process yet to play
with the trees and all that.

What I wondered is if there is a way to get some kind of result or
parsing exception thrown my the parser.entryPointMethod() call? I admit
that this may be a typical case of “if all you have is a hammer
everything looks like a nail” but … I’m learning.

Trying to figure out how to build a rather large compiler/evaluator
Content MathML I like to go in little steps. E.g. first doing a large
structure thing proper nesting of the elements… then putting in
attributes, then handling proper data type management… I haven’t figured
out a better way to go through the motions yet.

Now what I would like to do is build my whole suite of UnitTests for the
various rules in my parser/compiler/evaluator:

e.g.

testAPass - Parsing a unary operator apply-element:

testBPass- Parsing a binary operator apply-element:

testAFail …

..etc..

As I progress the list will grow and as the parser supports more exactly
the properties of the language tests will fail and need to be
re-written.

The typical JUnit patterns  I use:

            try {

                        …

                        assertTrue(“should have thrown exception
XYZ”,false);

            } catch (SomeExpectedXYZException e) {

                        assertTrue(true);

            }

            try {

                        …

            } catch (SomeUnExpectedException e) {

                        assertTrue(false);

            }

Is there in the parser something that I could ‘hook’ into to get the
status of the parsing process during/after a parse run was executed?

Again many thanks for your support and the good discussions on the list.

Raynier.

---