Fwd: [antlr-interest] Antlr noobie, nondeterminism abounds

Bryan Ewbank ewbankb at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 06:21:05 PDT 2004

> 1) Create a lexer rule representing exactly four decimal digits.
> 2) Create a lexer rule representing any 32-bit unsigned decimal
> value.

I'd do this as one lexer rule with a special case; use #2 as the
rule, but then recognize the special case of #1 and return a
different value.  Does 0001 match #1, or is that considered octal?

> 1) Create a lexer rule representing ASCII characters 1..7F (call it
> CHAR).
> 2) Create a lexer rule representing ASCII characters 1..FF (call it
> CHAR8).
> 3) Create a lexer rule represeting everything in CHAR *except* '\r'
> and '\n'.

Here #2 is the biggee, so start there, then make special cases for
the other two.

disclaimer:  I'm new to antrl, and learned this with lex/yacc -
recognize general tokens, then use a table (or whatever) to add
special cases.

=====
- Bryan Ewbank <><