[antlr-interest] Re: Antlr noobie, nondeterminism abounds

WesSantee jws01 at thevortex.com
Sun May 9 23:05:38 PDT 2004

Loring, Bryan, & Mark:

Thanks for all your help!  Your explanations and suggestions have been
spot on!  It sounds like I picked quite the project to cut my teeth on
lexer/parser fundamentals.  I may be in a little over my head for
right now. :)

Mark, I couldn't quite tell from your reply if you thought that maybe
a lexer/parser is the wrong tool for the job in this case:

> I think the only possible solution is to make the lexer basically
> pass individual characters as tokens to the parser, and render
> almost all of RFC 3501's ABNF rules as Antlr parser rules.  Where
> you want a single token in your parsed result (or a single
> computation), use actions in the parser rules to combine the
> individual character tokens into meaningful strings and numbers.

Is this using a hammer when a screwdriver is what's needed?  My
project is to parse IMAP server replies (formatting the requests isn't
too difficult), so it's not a necessity that it be done in a
parser-generator if that's not the right avenue to take.

Cheers,
-Wes