[antlr-interest] Unicode support

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Thu May 13 02:53:51 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:22:38PM -0000, meilland78 wrote:
> Since I am sure I will need my application to support multiple
> languages (europeen or asian) I was wondering what is the unicode
> support status today and approximitly for when is full unicode
> support planned ? Is it 1 month or 1 year ?

Current Unicode status is best answered with 'it depends'. In java mode you
can do quite a lot but might run into trouble with some values (and that
also depends on what your input is) There have been a lot of discussions on
this topic in the last few weeks among them some of people that got nice
results. Most problems are in the lexer track anycase so if you use a
custom lexer you may very well be safe.

In C++ mode well you might get away with it but the chance of success is
less. It's not officially supported anycase.

Timeframes I'm not saying anything about (although the 1 month is a
definite not ;) ). For ANTLR 3 we might see very good unicode support.

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893755  ----