[antlr-interest] Good papers for C#/Java parser stages

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Sun May 16 10:37:02 PDT 2004

[...]

> Another question. What better: on first and second pass generate only
> entity model and on third pass generate AST with fully resolved
> entities. Or generate AST on first pass and then resolve entity refrences
> on second and third passes? For C# 1.x second variant is better because
> it has only two syntax examples that can be pure syntactly resolved (and
> may simply fixed with minor changes in AST tree on third pass). But in C#
> 2.0 introduce more syntax ambiguity and AST conversions may not so
> simple.

I'm just jumping in so my apologies in advance if I missed something
important.

Basically, the idea is to do just what you need to do with lexing to enable
the parser to parse the input into an initial AST.  Then create successive
tree walkers/transformers to do the real transformation work.

Take care,
	John