[antlr-interest] Syntatic predicates...

Tom Verbeure hombre at gmail.com
Mon May 17 12:41:30 PDT 2004

Hello All,

What would prevent me to generously spread around syntatic predicates
to resolve non-determinisms in my grammar? I've noticed that adding
them can magically solve a lot problems.

E.g.
rule1 : ruleA
     | ruleB;

can give me loads of trouble, while

rule1: (ruleA) => ruleA
     | ruleB;

doesn't. I understand that there may be performance issues or that it
may be considered impure to do this if there are other ways to solve
it. In addition, it may encourage me not to investigate the core
reason for nondeterministic rules. (Can a syntatic predicate hide real
problems?)

But are there other fundamental disadvantages with this that I should
be aware of?

Thanks,
Tom