[antlr-interest] Re: Syntatic predicates...

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Wed May 19 14:49:51 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 04:34:05PM -0400, Tom Verbeure wrote:
> My reasons to do it with Antlr this time are:
> - automatich AST building. This should be a huge time saver.
> - much better recovery from syntax errors. The yacc way of doing this
> is too painful...
> - tree transformation.
> - direct support of C++.
> - readability of the generated parser source code. At least it's a bit
> easier to debug your stuff...
> - it's a nice exercise. :-)

:) Ack I only referred to it because I had a lapse of memory with respect
to the parser generator used (if it had been ell it could have been nice to
compare their solution to yours with respect to ambiguities) only moments
after sending the mail I recalled it must have been lalr they used so it
was not a usefull suggestion, sorry about that :/

> Like I said before, I don't really mind those warnings as long as I
> understand that they are harmless...

Quite often they are. Although with something like VHDL it will be hard to
see if they actually are. I recall it being a very big grammar (and spec)

> My current status is that I have a grammar without ANTLR warnings. To
> get there, however, I simply removed a number of features from the
> language. Yes, you can call this cheating. :-)

Pfah that's only a matter of definitions ;)

> However, in real life, there are a number of features that are never
> every practically used. In addition, my goal is mainly to process
> synthesizable VHDL code (for the non-initiated: this is code that can
> be compiled straight into electronic gates). Here the subset is even
> smaller. I may look later at how to add the removed features back into
> the grammar, but this isn't a high priority to be honest.

Sounds like an interesting project anycase :)

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893755  ----