[antlr-interest] org.apache.jakarta\lucene

Monty Zukowski monty at codetransform.com
Thu May 27 13:29:52 PDT 2004

On May 27, 2004, at 1:16 PM, Jim O'Connor wrote:
> 1. How can an Antlr lexer be used to fulfill the lucene requirement
> for a TokenStream?
I'm not familiar with that, but I imagine you'd just keep grabbing
nextToken from the lexer and providing the text to lucene.

> 2. Generally, why would I want to tokenize differently for different
> languages? how does that effect my results?
I guess it depends on semantics.  Are you going to provide an index for
variable names only?  Do you want to not search comments?  Different
languages will have different punctuation.  For instance you might want
some-valid-id as a complete token but not 5-3 as a complete token.

> 3.  What are the issues with comments?  Do I have to decide to
> search/eliminate them?
Who else would decide?

> P.S. Did I hear something about an Antlr Workshop?
In the works late July or early August.  Details will be forthcoming on
the mailing list.

Monty Zukowski

ANTLR & Java Consultant -- http://www.codetransform.com
ANSI C/GCC transformation toolkit --