[antlr-interest] ANTLR for a compiler

Alexey Demakov demakov at ispras.ru
Thu Nov 4 23:59:35 PST 2004

From: "Bryan Ewbank" <ewbank at synopsys.com>
> I've been working on building a compiler - not a translator, but a
> code-generating compiler - in ANTLR, and I'm getting frustrated.  I am
> seriously thinking of abandoning ANTLR in favor of Bison simply because of
> the complexity of writing a tree parser (versus a typical visitor-pattern
> with preorder/postorder traversal).

My approach is to use ANTLR only for parsing and manually write parser actions
to create heterogenous tree. Tree structure should is described separately
and used as source for generation of tree node classes, visitors, tree walkers etc

It is already implemented in my project TreeDL. Visit http://treedl.sourceforge.net
for documentation, example and downloads. It was discussed in this list in October,
you can check list archives.

Regards,
Alexey

-----