[antlr-interest] Re: Please - can someone help me out?

Geir Ove Skjaervik geiroves at online.no
Sun Nov 7 04:53:28 PST 2004

Hello,

And thanks a lot for dealing with my "novice" questions :-)

I think I remember how to implement a stack machine, so that part
should be relatively easy. I am not familiar with the term "threaded
code compiler though".

Q1:
As for how to use ANTLR to implement a Stack Machine: Couldn't I
simply emit the stack instructions from the Parser part of ANTLR?
(That's what I did in the hand coded lexer / parser I wrote). What
are the benefits of doing it walking an AST tree?

Additional info: I need a K>1 kind of parser.

I feel pretty comfortable setting up the Lexer and Parser part in
ANTLR (I think), but the TreeParser part is unfamiliar ground
although I think I grasp the basics.

Q2:
What would be easier: Implementing a debugger for the Stack Machine
or the solution where code is executed walking the tree (is this
called a register machine?)

Thanks for your patitence and help.

Geir Ove