[antlr-interest] Java memory mapped IO is slow for big files :(

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Wed Nov 17 16:10:50 PST 2004

[...]

> In typical fashion, your expectations are not always met with java
> libraries.  I'm using jdk 1.4.2 on my os x box.

Well, that's part of the problem.  Apple hasn't been the best at making
their port of the JDK great.  Also, are you completely up to date with the
Java version?  Early versions had lots of bugs.  I.e., I'd be careful about
extrapolating generally from those numbers without actually verifying the
numbers on at least MS Windows and Linux.

Also, are you testing this on your laptop?  The disks on the Apple laptops
suck ass in terms of speed.

Take care,
	John